Thursday, July 2, 2015

Nearly halfway through the "51 Games in 2015" Challenge

In January, Epidiah Ravachol (of Dig A Thousand Holes) issued an open challenge to play 51 games in 2015 ( #51in15 ). The 51 in '15 challenge has a great constraint: you can only count each game once.


I'm about halfway through, and that constraint is really starting to force me out of my comfort zone.

Games played in last week:



21. The Princess Bride: Prepare To Die: a family-friendly Cards Against Humanity hack. It's OK, but doesn't scale super-well to 8 players using the rules as written. Our game took maybe 90 minutes to finish (maybe longer), and felt a bit gruelling. It's very dependent on the judge (the player judging a particular round) asking a question / setting criteria that help the majority of other players create a good card combination.

Bad Family: this playtest doesn't count towards my challenge total because I've already run it this year. However, I learned a lot about the value of drunk playtesting a game.]

22. Space Team: This continues to be super-fun. I think I've cracked an optimal strategy for how to play it, though.


However, as great as SpaceTeam is, it's still just a place-holder until I can play Artemis: The Spaceship Bridge Simulator.



23. Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mount Skullzfyre: I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would after watching it on Tabletop. Fairly low complexity and the randomness is actually fun because it's offset by selecting your initiative (when your spell will occur), spell design (whether you go for offensive or healing effects), and target selection.



24. Space Fluxx: It's Fluxx, but with all manner of science-fiction references from 1950s B-movies, Star Trek, Doctor Who and many more. I like Fluxx and thought this was good. My favourite Fluxx variants are Zombie and Monty Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment